The ministry of Camp Widjiitiwin began in 1930 at the current site of our Conference Centre. The main building was a farm house across from the current mini-golf course. None of the camper cabins had electricity and they used oil lamps for lighting. Ice was cut into blocks during the winter, and placed in saw dust to provide refrigeration for the summer months. Meals were cooked on wood burning stoves for up to sixty campers and staff. In 1938, Millar Hall was opened. This provided piped water and new cooking and dining areas.
World War 2 put the camping program at MBC on hold. By 1942, the camp program was stopped because many of the staff were involved in the Canadian Armed Services.
In 1948, Rev. Jack Scott gave leadership to a committee that began various camping activities for young adults. The duration of these camp sessions lasted 10 – 14 days. Soon after this, the site of the former Arcadia Lodge was purchased down the river from the current Camp Widjiitiwin site. This provided more opportunities for pre-teens campers to come in July, while the teens continued to arrive during the month of August.
In 1973, a group of individuals provided funding to purchase the 26 acres of the current Camp Widjiitiwin. The dining and chapel hall consisted of three army tents joined together with a sand floor. The current Longhouse building was erected in 1984. The camp committee was inspired to name the camp Widjiitiwin because of the inclusive nature of Aboriginal cultures in Canada, and to pay respect to the original inhabitants of the area where Camp Widjiitiwin is located. Widjiitiwin is an Anishinaabe (Ojibwa) word for fellowship.
To this day, Camp Widjiitiwin continues in its founding purpose, to see lives claimed for eternity in Jesus Christ.