I have been reading through Chronicles as I finish reading through the Old (or first) Testament. The Bible reading app I use does this to as a way of wrapping up the story of a good God and his often foolish people. In my came across David’s Mighty Men again in 1 Chronicles 11 & 12. Something stood out to me more this time. These men were the best of the best. Their accomplishments as warriors are incredible and their bravery was and is renown in history. I was trying to figure out who their modern day equal would be and I came up with…
Chuck Norris of course!
Let’s do some comparisons.
David’s Mighty Men
While David was a mighty warrior in his own right, he surrounded himself with other mighty warriors. They supported David both politically and militarily. They had impressive combat skills and we fiercely loyal that won them renown and honour in David’s kingdom.
- They were a combination of combat commandos, stealth rangers, navy seals, green beret, special ops and Delta forces who had acquired the skills of battle demanded to survive and conquer in hand-to-hand warfare.
- They engaged in clandestine operations and were often outnumbered by staggering odds pitted against them, yet they stood their ground. Time after time on fields of battle they were the last men standing.
- As you study these men, you will see confidence, faithfulness, determination, courage, faith, loyalty, dependability and more!
- They were bowmen and could shoot arrows and sling stones with either the right or the left hand; they were Benjaminites, Saul’s kinsmen. 1 Chronicles 12:2
- A group of 37 men in the Hebrew Bible who fought with King David.
- The Three
- Ishbaal the Tachmonite (“thou will make me wise”); the leader and is said to have killed 800 men in a single encounter. 2 Samuel 23:8. He was chief of the three.
- Eleazar (“God has helped”); stood his ground against the Philistines at Pas Dammim when the rest of the Hebrews ran away, and successfully defeated them. 2 Samuel 23:10
- Shammah; When the Philistines banded together at a place where there was a field full of lentils, Israel’s troops fled from them. 12 But Shammah took his stand in the middle of the field. He defended it and struck the Philistines down, and the Lord brought about a great victory. 2 Samuel 23:11-12
- One day during harvest, the Three parted from the Thirty and joined David at the Cave of Adullam. A squad of Philistines had set up camp in the Valley of Rephaim. While David was holed up in the Cave, the Philistines had their base camp in Bethlehem. David had a sudden craving and said, “Would I ever like a drink of water from the well at the gate of Bethlehem!” So the Three penetrated the Philistine lines, drew water from the well at the gate of Bethlehem, and brought it back to David. But David wouldn’t drink it; he poured it out as an offering to God, saying, “There is no way, God, that I’ll drink this! This isn’t mere water, it’s their life-blood—they risked their very lives to bring it!” So David refused to drink it. This is the sort of thing that the Three did. 2 Samuel 23:16 (MSG). The story shows the love and devotion of the three mighty warriors for David.
- The Thirty
- Abishai; killed 300 men with a spear, and so became famous among The Thirty, though not as famous and respected as The Three
- Benaiah; Killing two of Moab’s best warriors, Killing a lion in a pit on a snowy day & Attacking a 7 1/2 foot tall Egyptian with a club, stealing the spear that the Egyptian was using, and killing the Egyptian with it. 2 Samuel 23:20–23
- The Mighty Men were the Special Operations Group of David’s armed forces.
There are so many Chuck Norris memes to draw from, but I want to look at the man himself. Chuck Norris is famous as a world-champion martial artist (tang soo do, tae kwon do and karate), plus movie and television star. What many people don’t know is that Norris is also very dedicated to the military community.
- He does his own stunts.
- Great movies with lots of actions. 44 movies and TV shows according to IMDB.com.
- He hasn’t lost a fight since 1968, giving him a record of 168-10-2 at the end of his long career.
- Usually plays heroes who are good guys to the bone, and despite having punishing martial arts skills, would always rather find a better solution than fighting.
- His beard & red hair
- Action movies, uses taekwondo in his fight scenes, does a roundhouse kick whenever he’s filming a martial arts fight
- Calm, reasonable voice (that I am sure makes people tremble)
- 6-time World Karate Champion
- He was the karate teacher of father-son actors Steve McQueen and Chad McQueen
- Received “Veteran of the Year 2001” honor at the 6th Annual American Veteran Awards.
- He has founded two of his own martial arts: Chun Kuk Do (“the Universal Way”) and American Tang Soo Do.
- He has a 10th degree black belt in Tang Soo Do, and also an 8th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do…that is, the Korean (or traditional) styles of each. Is a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under the Machado Brothers.
- He and his wife both serve on the board of the National Council of Bible Curriculum in Public Schools.
- In 2005 he founded the World Combat League, a full-contact, team-based martial arts competition.
- While serving in Japan with the US Air Force (as an MP), Norris sought out a judo studio. He settled for karate classes, because judo would have conflicted with his Air Force duty schedule.
- When Chuck Norris is silent around you, you should be worried.
- Norris would turn to philanthropy to help at-risk children build up self-esteem. Through Kickstart Kids and the United Fighting Arts Federation, Norris makes use of martial arts classes as an opportunity for children to avoid drug use and gang violence.
- Alleged Chuck Norris Facts (okay, I had to include some of these… enjoy)
- Chuck Norris was once bitten by a cobra. After five days of agonizing pain, the cobra finally died.
- Chuck Norris once shot down a German fighter plane by pointing at it and yelling “Bang!”
- Before the Boogie Man goes to sleep, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.
- Chuck Norris can divide by zero.
- When Chuck Norris does a push up, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down.
- Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
- Chuck Norris has never blinked in his entire life. Never.
- Chuck Norris counted to infinity—three times.
Feel free to draw your own conclusion of who wins between David’s Mighty Men and Chuck Norris. I’m going to call it a tie. I also considered Navy Seal Team Six for a comparison, but that’s another blog.
“I’ve always found that anything worth achieving will always have obstacles in the way, and you’ve got to have that drive and determination to overcome those obstacles on route to whatever it is that you want to accomplish.” Chuck Norris