Transformed youth! This is the desired result of our mission to be ambassadors for Christ to children and youth. What does that look like? Christian youth (summer staff, campers & SALTers) who have their own faith, godly character, actively participating in these disciplines: reading God’s Word, worshiping, prayer, a small group study and discussion, serving in ministry, reaching out to their friends, and developing a Biblical worldview. To accomplish this, we use community experiences; staff who demonstrate the gospel message, teaching of God’s Word, positive relationships with staff and creative programming.
SALT for teens (14-17). This year we are offering two different streams. We’ve got 3 special weeks of creativity and adventure planned for you. You will learn about leadership and teamwork principles.
- Session 1: Adventure-based: This session will focus on an outdoor adventure setting and application, instruction in ORCKA flat-water and Bronze Medallion, practical in-cabin leadership experiences, spend a day rock climbing, 4 day, 3 night out trip, special day trips, service projects and more…
- Session 2: Arts-Based: Still the same backbone that SALT has built on year after year, this session will focus on experiencing God’s creative character in the outdoors, while cultivating creative opportunities to perform and produce art in different mediums. Trips are made off-site to arts events in Muskoka plus run Widji Radio and other special activities.
Our five partnership camps are growing strong and are more than half our summer campers. This year we anticipate up to 340 campers to attend. Pray for us as we work with kids and youth from at risk and marginalized communities.
- Fresh Air Camp, in partnership with Toronto Police, 42 Division with PC Mark Gray in its ninth summer, expecting 90-100 campers. Dwayne (Joose) Francois is our camp pastor for the week.
- Escape Camp, our partnership week with Hughson Street Baptist Church in Hamilton, in its sixth summer, expecting 75 campers. The team from Hughson Street (Diana, Derek and more) will provide ministry.
- Royal City Camp now in its fifth year expecting 55 campers from Church of the City in Guelph. Matt (Newb) Naismith is the leader and camp pastor this week.
- Venture Camp in its third year expecting 70 campers through Capstone Community Bible Church. Rob (Sad Sac) Cripps and Andrew (Nemo) Ironside teach the Word and lead the campers with us.
- Ephraim’s Place Camp, our partnership with Ephraim’s Place in North York, in its second year, expecting 40 campers. Alex (Optimus Prime) Street is our camp pastor for this week.
Our other camp pastors this summer are Tim (Chipstack) Tysoe, Nathan (Ice) Pifer from Faith Muskoka, Michael (Boyardee) Bowyer from Philpott Church and Myles (Sherlock) Holmes from Harvest Durham.
We still have summer staff positions to fill including male cabin leaders (must be 17 or finished grade 11); 2 male SALT cabin leader (age 18+). Leadership positions needed (age 19+): male Co-Program Director and Head Cook. If you know some great Christian youth/young adults please send them to www.widjiitiwin.ca/work-at-widji for more information.
Our themes for 2017 are Destination: Greece, Nintendo and The Round Table! There are some interesting leadership lessons from King Arthur as he led from beside his knights.
Serving Him together,
Mike (Moose) Greenfield
Ambassadors for Christ to children and youth