Widjiitiwin continues to build meaningful relationships with our partners in the Ignite program, and we will again be welcoming groups for 5 of our summer weeks. This means that campers coming to our open enrollment weeks help to make it possible for these groups to bring campers from communities with violence and risk to their own special weeks. New activities for 2018 – Laser Light Battles (a team based game of tactics and tag) and Ukulele classes.
Summer at Widjiitiwin is starting to take shape and the big news is with the staff! With the exception of our need for male cabin leaders, all of our staff positions have been filled. The leadership team is made up of some new and veteran staff. We are excited to be welcoming back Slack as our Guys Chief, Rhino as SALT Director and Titan as Program Director. This mixture of new and returning staff will create a solid back bone for summer program, while enjoying the energy and ideas that new staff bring with them.
We are very excited to add a new Director of Ministry position this summer, and we are happy to tell you that Sad Sac (Rob Cripps) will fill this position as a support to our summer staff and campers.
SALT for teens (14-17) has two different streams; adventure-based for session 1 and arts based for session 2 (started last summer). We’ve got 3 special weeks of community, creativity and adventure planned for you. You will learn about yourself, the Bible, leadership and teamwork principles.
Although it is said that the only person who likes change is a baby, 2018 brings change to Widjiitiwin. Moose will be on the Leadership Team at MBC with the position of Director: MBC Retreats & Camp Widjiitiwin. MBC Retreats include Women of Grace, Men’s Breakaway, Couples Getaway and Family Fusion. Plus he will work with Anne Shelton on a new marketing strategy and process. At Widji, Moose will be the General Director. His time at Widji will be one third of his overall job. He will continue to be responsible for our Ignite partnerships, visioning, yearly tactical plan, camp pastors, donations, marketing, Widji blog, budgeting, busing and foodservice.
Heyoo will be the Camp Widjiitiwin Director. He is responsible for the daily running of camp that he started in 2017 when Moose went on sick leave. Responsibilities will include summer operations and program, staff hiring & supervision, program oversight, maintenance, SALT, Aspire, graphic design, brochures & website. Shared responsibilities will include capital projects & social media.
Our five Ignite partnership camps are growing strong and are more than half our summer campers. This year we anticipate up to 305 campers to attend. Pray for us as we work with kids and youth from at risk and marginalized communities.
- Fresh Air Camp, in partnership with Toronto Police, 42 Division with PC Mark Gray in its tenth summer, expecting 60 campers. Dwayne (Joose) Francois is our camp pastor for the week.
- Escape Camp, our partnership week with Hughson Street Baptist Church in Hamilton, in its seventh summer, expecting 70 campers. The team from Hughson Street (Diana, Derek and more) will provide ministry & Bible teaching.
- Royal City Camp now in its sixth year expecting 60 campers from Church of the City in Guelph. Matt (Newb) Naismith with Spencer Adams are the leaders and camp pastors this week.
- Capstone Camp in its fourth year expecting 70 campers through Capstone Community Bible Church. Rob (Sad Sac) Cripps and Andrew (Nemo) Ironside teach the Word and lead the campers with us.
- Ephraim’s Place Camp, our partnership with Ephraim’s Place in North York, in its third year, expecting 45 campers.
Our other camp pastors this summer are, Nathan (Ice) Pifer from Faith Muskoka, Michael (Boyardee) Bowyer from Philpott Church and Myles (Sherlock) Holmes from Harvest Durham.
Not too long from now, at a camp not so far, far away… you arrive at Widji for our 2018 summer theme Star Wars!! On the far side of the universe on the third planet from the sun is an event becoming known for training Jedi and battling the Empire. And we’ll do all nine movies over the nine weeks of summer. We are excited by what God will do through the ministry of Camp Widjiitiwin this summer.
Serving Him together,
Mike (Moose) Greenfield Josh (Heyoo) Laverty
General Director Director
Camp Widjiitiwin Camp Widjiitiwin
Ambassadors for Christ to children and youth