What is the value of a child? A youth? A camper? We need to see people, children, as God sees them. What was His point of view? Well, Jesus gave them His time, Jesus died for them. They are:
- Loved by God
- Accepted by Jesus
- Have guardian angels
- Are a gift from God
- Are precious in His sight
- Made in God’s image
Check out these Bible verses…
- Psalm 127:3 – Sons (& daughters) are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him.
- Genesis 1:26, 27; 9:6 – made in God’s image!
- Matthew 19:13-15 – Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these. (see also: Mark 10:13-16 & Luke 18:15-17)
- Isaiah 7:14; 9:6 & Matthew 1:23 – for unto us a child is born, Jesus came as an infant
- Matthew 18:1-6 – At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. “And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. (see also: Mark 9:33-37 & Luke 9:46-48)
- Proverbs 17:6 – Children’s children are a crown to the aged and parents are the pride of their children
- Matthew 18:10 – guardian angels
- Genesis 1:26, 27; 9:6 – made in God’s image, Jesus came as an infant
- Luke 2:52 – and Jesus grew in wisdom and stature and in favour with God and man. A wholistic view of growth – mental (&emotional), physical, spiritual and social.
- Proverbs 22:6 – Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
- Proverbs 20:11 – Even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right.
- Psalm 8:2 From the lips of children and infants, you have ordained praise, because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger.
Ways to Value a Child/Youth
- Listen attentively- look at them, get down to their level
- Use Positive communication – limit don’ts, give solutions, provide a choice when possible
- Use WHEN/THEN to encourage behaviour
- Value the child- despite behaviours
- Set healthy boundaries
- Have fun with the children – take time to build relationships… show you care
- Use their names… shows interest in them as people
- Act upon teachable moments, opportunities to point them to God, teach values, show respect
Deuteronomy 6:1-9 These are the commands, decrees and laws the LORD your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the LORD your God as long as you live by keeping all his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life. Hear, O Israel, and be careful to obey so that it may go well with you and that you may increase greatly in a land flowing with milk and honey, just as the LORD, the God of your fathers, promised you. Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.
Matthew 11:25 & 26 At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.