A lie only runs until it is overtaken by the truth. Cuban proverb.
Recently a number of my blogs have started by hearing a line in a movie that catches my attention and I see where they go from there. This one did too. As usual, I want to focus on what God says through the Bible about what I’m writing about.
Two quotes you have heard before:
- Always telling the truth is easier because you don’t have to remember what lie you told to what person. Just tell the truth.
- A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. Winston Churchill
Let’s see a few verses of what God’s Word (the Bible) has to say about lying. All the verses are from the English Standard Version.
- Proverbs 12:22 Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight.
- Colossians 3:9-10 Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.
- Proverbs 12:19 Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment.
- Luke 8:17 For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light.
- Matthew 15:18-20 But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.”
- John 8:32 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
- Hebrews 6:18 So that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.
- John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
- Zechariah 8:16 These are the things that you shall do: Speak the truth to one another; render in your gates judgments that are true and make for peace;
Always tell the truth. It’s that simple.